[78-L] fwd: A Chance to Finally Forgive Mom for Throwing Out ThatCard

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 18 00:57:03 PST 2010

martha wrote:
> Someday, you must tell us about the FBI !

No secret, I've told about it before.  Before videocassettes made it
easy, I was collecting TV shows on 16mm starting around 1969.  My two
favorite dealers was Home Movie Wonderland in Golita Calif and Gains 16
Films in Hywd.  I always felt that Gains was the most up-and-up dealer,
they even had a place on their order blank to sign saying non-commercial
collector use, etc.  The FBI called and my father answered, and I called
back and said sure, come on over.  Two officers from the Hackensack NJ
office arrived.  Hackensack New Jersey has an FBI Office??!!!  I showed
them all I had were TV shows, Art Linkletter, Edward R Murrow, Ozzie &
Harriett, Newlywed Game, etc.  I said I was paying maybe 3 to ten bucks
for them, that they were old discarded prints.  They took notes but
didn't understand. I showed them some catalogs.  They asked if these
were being newly made.  I said of course not, the raw film would cost
between 50 and 100 bucks.  They finally told me what set this off.  I
was on Gains paid mailing list -- a few bucks to get the list first
class mail.  They had been found making new prints of current feature
films.  I showed thom a catalog of theirs where they had in numerical
order over 100 episodes of Ozzie & Harriet for 5 or ten bucks.  I had
gotten the two lowest numberd episodes, complete with ads.  They were
the warehouse disposals.  They said that this was not what they were
looking for and I never heard about this again.  But I have ever since
told film collectors that they do check on pirates of new films.  And
yes, we do look thru the discs when the little Chinese girl comes thru
Leah's Brooklyn neighborhood restaurants saying  "DVD DVD Five Bucks
DVD"-- the only English words she knows.  And every once we hear news
stories about a raid on a NYC warehouse.  The This Is It pirate we got
has Spanish titles, and the Pirate Radio disc is a dub off the British
release which we already had sent over from England -- we hoped it would
be an American theater version so we could document the difference we
saw in the theater.  Always research, you understand.

Mike (not so crazy about the MPAA either) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com