[78-L] Joe Meek, Bad Penny Blues and Boo Woo

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 17 22:43:25 PST 2010

> From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>
>> Wonder who they steal them from? Probably the German group that steals
>> from Proper which steals from Classic which steals from everybody else....
>>

> Well, given that much of Europe (and Canada) still have a 50-year (or so)
> copyright term for sound recordings...much/most of this theft would be
> (1) probably legal, and (2) VERY hard to prove were it not...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr
The American labels would say -- and HAVE said -- that the initial CD
reissues were also thefts!  But under the 50 year laws outside the U.S.
that Steve mentions, we know that they are not.  But the reputable
companies like those dl works/worked for only use original copies and do
not steal off of legit reissues is the reissues are less than 50 years
old. There often ARE ways to identify when your restoration has been
used by someone else, but not always.  The question really is does the
restoration have its own 50 year copyright.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com