[78-L] Happy Valentines day--or not!!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 17 15:53:09 PST 2010

Jim Whipkey wrote:

>   > > --------------
>   > > "Smoke Gets In Your Lungs"
>   > > "My Love Tirade"
>   > > "Did You Ever See A Dream Squawking?"
>   > > "Do Fence Me In"
>   > > "Give My Regards To Broads' Way"
>   > >
>   > And as well add (and this is a REAL song...even if all too accurate.../!):
>   >
>   > "Too Old To Cut the Mustard Anymore"
>   >
>   And when I saw this,  knew I  had  seen my copy of Cut the mustard  earlier today, but  it decided to disappear, believe  IIRC,  was recorded by Gisele McKenzie and Helen O'Connell.   and  in what is probably a sloppy seque,  What I did find  instead of the Mustard anymore song was  TWO copies of  "They All Recorded to Beat the Ban" On Damon label, by Jon and Sondra Steele.  It would be my best guess this was  issued  in the late 40s  with the ban on  new songs or whatever it was, I was a mere child, but  my lingering memory of those days was  a disclaimer  on the radio every time they played a song  which ended with   mention of  the musicians union and  ended  by saying James C. Petrillo.
>   Jim Whipkey

"Mustard" was rendered by Rosemary Clooney and Marlene Dietrich. Gisele and
Helen may have recorded it (if they have, I've mercifully forgotten..I have
some other duets by them and they're suitable for hog calling).

The funny thing about "Beat the Ban" is that it was the other side that became
the hit, a little ditty called "My Happiness".