[78-L] How many records are around?

Michael Quinn mbquinn at powerup.com.au
Tue Feb 16 06:46:46 PST 2010

Hi Erwin,
 Thanks for the link - Rare is the word allright!!
The zinc Berliner looks to be a test - pity it is of minimal artistic
interest.  Wasn't Trevor Williams chairman of the Gramophone &
Typewriter Company?  I see he recorded a commercially issued Berliner
of  "Farmyard Imitations" in March 1899 which sold sufficiently well to
require a remake.
My estimate of the number of European Berliners might be out by several
thousand as Alan Kelly indicates there were somewhat over 4,500
recordings in the unlettered series from 1899-1900 plus I would need to
add the 1898 London Berliners and Sinkler Darby's European recordings so
7000 thousand titles might be closer to the mark for the pre wax master
period of European recording.
Best Wishes
Mike Quinn