[78-L] Mills Blue Rhythm Band on Royale in 1947

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 15 09:32:29 PST 2010

Julian Vein wrote:
> Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
>   > Reportedly Maurice A. Rappaport and Boris Morros were involved with the
>> ARA label. Rappaport owned a retail store called Rex Records at 5280
>> Hollywood Blvd. near Vine. He also published Metro Records, Rex
>> Hollywood, REM Hollywood, and Hollywood 78 label imprints. These were
>> all basically the same label but with different names concocted to
>> avoid getting sued. I have seen copies of the Teddy Edwards Rex
>> Hollywood recordings with the “Rex” blacked out. Reportedly, the Rex
>> English label threatened to sue Rappaport over the “Rex Hollywood”
>> brand. An alternate take of a Wingy Manone-Kay Star recording
>> originally issued on ARA 145 was also issued on Metro Hollywood 23005
>> and REM Hollywood 23005. I have all three issues.
> Didn't Rappaport end up in jail? It's mentioned on a Onyx reissue of
> Teddy Edwards sides.
>
>        Julian Vein

I know Morros was a double agent..I also heard that he financed the recording
of "Spellbound" by taking advance orders from Hollywood record stores. And I've
had that album on ARA (with and without illustrations between the pockets) and
on REX and REM (the latter two intermixed in one set) as well as on a Solitaire LP.