[78-L] "Value" of 78s

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Feb 14 17:45:07 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>I still don't follow this thread. Why try to make claims about the "values"
> of 78s based on the cheapest and most common crap?   Or the possible money
> to be made on a quick turnover  lot sale?
>
> I know I can buy "records" for a buck each or less....but it's the records
> WANT which cost the money.  I would be very happy if I could find them for
> buck but I can't.  And I have a basement of records I'd sell for less than
> a buck each,  if someone would come and haul them away.

(Fairly) simple! In this new century...(to cite some unknown party who
apparently WASN'T Vince Lombardi...?!)..."Money isn't everything...
it's the ONLY thing!" Note that this is NOT a philosophy by which I
live...my actual goal is EF(non-classical)78REM...! In actual fact, I
need to find out and/or verify exactly WHICH 78's I own (in intact
form...I recently discovered 16 of my British Decca records had
been broken due to a milk boxs being stored WITHOUT being
completely filled...?!

However, as huge HD's become more readily availible (i.e.
cheaper...?!)...I am wondering if it would not be possible to
set up a digital-sound-file exchange allowing us interested
parties to accumulate quality sound files taken from 78's...?!

That said, I suspect my goal would remain actual ownership
of the 78rpm phonorecord itself...?!

Steven C. Barr