[78-L] one man's treasure.....

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Feb 14 16:15:56 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> I was  visiting a friend the other evening who is a collector, who's very
> quiet, doesn't belong to anything like CAPS, never goes on 78L and does
> not have any kind of intercourse with any other collectors that I know of.
> I only met him because he's a friend of a friend of my wife.  But he has
> far more records in every format than I do, several turntables, an OWL 1,
> a couple of McIntosh tube amps and everything is organized to a degree I
> couldn't accomplish if I spent a lifetime.  He's also a collector of
> books, glassware, china, model cars, posters etc.  He lives in a huge
> house, (mansion), and every one of his collections is organized and has
> its own place in the house.  He's a retired high school teacher, he's very
> modest but can converse intelligently about any of his collections.  Our
> discussions reveal his appreciation for music and the depth of his
> knowledge in that area.
>
> While I was there the other evening, he showed me his latest acquisition
> from e-bay:  The "almost complete record dating guide" for which he paid
> US$119.00.

Little did he know (it appears) that he could have bought a NEW copy of the
Guide
from Kurt Nauck (its current publisher) for $25 or less...?! In fact, I just
bought a copy
of my own book from the "Badrock close-out auction for under $25...!

Steven C. Barr
(my current copy is missing a number of pages...!)