[78-L] The 1940 price cut (was: Columbia Records and HRS/UHCA Reissues)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 14 16:07:57 PST 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
>  on Tuesday, August 6,[1940] Columbia Recording Corp. announced that it was cutting its
> retail prices on both its classical Masterworks line and its popular
> red-label line. RCA Victor soon followed suit. The effect of the price
> cuts was almost immediate. An article in the Financial section of the
> September 12th issue of The New York Times was headlined: “Price Cut
> Brings Boom in Records; Sales This Year will Far Exceed 1939 Total of
> 60,000,000, Companies Report; RCA-Victor Total Spurts; Dealer Stocks
> Cut; Columbia Orders Up 1500%;

Thanks for the reference to this article because I have been gathering
together contemporary published info on the price cut.  One of the
outlandish claims being made by the Steinweiss supporters is that his
illustrated album cover on an unspecified Beethoven symphony increased
sales 800%.  It obviously was the price cut that made the real difference.

There are fascinating editorial comments in the Sept and Oct 1940
issues of H. Royer Smith's "The New Records".  Since a very large part
of this Philadelphia store's market was classical music, once Victor and
all the others followed suit with the price reduction they found that
they had to sell  twice as much to make the same profit.  The editorials
bemoaned that the companies would have to sell 3 times the amount of
records to reach the same profit they had before, and that after the
first flush of increased sales settled down when customers learned to
treat the new prices as the regular prices, the companies will find
their sales eventually increased by only 10 to 25%.  They predicted that
less profitable recordings would be deleted, leaving only the
potboilers, noting that one company with 600 albums would only find 50
of them profitable at the new prices.   They suggested that companies
raise the prices back to the old level but then reissue albums at a
lower price on a different label once they have made back their costs --
predicting the Camden label about 13 years early!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com