[78-L] Washing records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 14 13:52:49 PST 2010

martha wrote:
> From another list:". . . WD 40 also restores and cleans 78 records and
> Amberol cylinders. Some people will disagree with that, but take a dirty,
> scratchy 78 record and try it - it will improve the sound and make it look
> better - and absolutely NO damage to the record - spray it on and wipe it
> off "

There is no way they can tell what long term damage this synthetic oil
will do to the record.  It will soak into the material and for all we
know turn it into mush.  Besides, they are mixing the WD-40 not only
with the record's material but the dirt they have not cleaned off --
note they say to do this with a "dirty scratchy 78".

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com