[78-L] Washing records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 14 00:12:01 PST 2010

buster wrote:
> Yes:  everything that Biel knows.

I have just gone thru the postings of these two individuals for the past
year and a half.  I had assumed that someone who calls himself Dr Jazz
would have some knowledge to demonstrate.  But all of his postings,
except for a few that have requested some specific records records for
his collection -- not for research -- have been snide remarks like this
about posters on the list.  No facts to add.  No information.  Just
short negative statements of disdain about people on the list.  Buster
is almost as negative, but has occasionally given some mac-based
computer info and help.  A couple of links to articles, a couple of
comments about the packing of records received, but no substantive facts
or info or even some discussion about the contents of the records,
rather than about the people posting on the list.

While I am not shy of occasionally making a political or social comment,
or contributing to a joke line, other than some gentle chiding of
personal friends of mine on the list, I try to keep personalities out of
this, maybe making some negative comments about a record but not about
the person posting the info.  We all know that Steve has some quirks and
I occasionally chide him about a fact or opinion, but he has a wide
knowledge of the field that should be respected.  To those of you who
don't know me personally I might occasionally see to be a little rough
on incorrect facts, but it is the information that is important here.
And I know I have provided a lot of information, and can back up all of
my facts and opinions.  Same with many of the posters here such as the
Davids, Cary, Doug, Geoffrey, Robert, Ron, Royal, Taylor, Martha, Donna,
Don, Julian, Mike H. and Michael S., Han, Hans, Milan, Bjorn, Bertrand,
Kristjan, Ate, Martin, Jack, Jeff, Bill, Al, Tim, Kurt, and so many many
more.

I've often said that this list is like a daily ARSC conference bull
session where info is traded till 3 am.  The internet is a little
different than those face-to-face discussions, and one of the
unfortunate differences is the addition of the snide personal remark
made at a distance and under the cloak of anonymity.  You all know who I
am and my background.  I likewise know almost all of the posters here
either personally or by reputation.  We welcome others into our 78-L
family and hope that they have some info to present or questions we can
answer.  Lurkers are also welcome to eavesdrop, and especially to
learn.  A lot of important facts and information have been traded here,
along with some of the worst puns that have ever existed.    But what is
not appreciated is someone dipping in to do nothing more than make snide
remarks about the people on the list, especially when they hide behind
some cutesypie nickname.  In keeping with the model I mentioned, a
face-to-face ARSC or other collectors meet bullsession, it is time to
end the snide personal remarks that would not be acceptable in a
personal face-to-face group.
I hope on this Valentines Day we can resolve to cool the anti-love that
has invaded this list.  Make sure you have something positive to add,
especially information.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com