[78-L] Washing records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Feb 13 19:39:31 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Lichtman" <jeff at swazoo.com>
>>Suffice it to say that shellac records can be SEVERLY affected...in fact,
>>destroyed...
>>by long-ish-term exposure to water...?! So, cleaning 78's with/involving
>>water is
>>NOT a realistic choice!
>>Steven C. Barr
>
> And what would you suggest? Motor oil?

Step one is give the record a good "dusting!" Much of the undesirable
"debris" is loose material which can be easily dislodged and removed!

As well, water CAN be used in cleaning shellac records; however,
it CANNOT be left on those surfaces for any length of time! I have
a milk box full of 78's (including some desirable discs!?) which was
under water for about 36 hours due to a plugged municipal sewer
pipe; virtually ALL the 78's were/are seriously affected...and are
no longer "playable" in any useful sense...?!

I have NO idea of the chemistry involved; however, shellac records
CANNOT withstand immersion for any length of time...?!

Steven C. Barr