[78-L] Last 78's--WAS: acoustic recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 19:37:04 PST 2010

agp wrote:
> The similar question I've always wondered is -- when was  the last
> cylinder. I thought cylinders where made until at least 1924. Was
> Edison maybe still doing them at that time?  T
The highest numbered Blue Amberol cylinder was 5719 "If I Had You"  John
Gart (organ solo) issued June 1929.  Cylinder production ended July 6,
1929.  BUT they still maintained and used the equipment for producing
Blue Amberols into the 1950s.  I have a special machine
ftom around 1940 with a regular sized Blue Amberol morse code practice
cylinder produced at that time.  I also have the mould for making one of
the Ediphone dictation lesson cylinders with a date on the case when the
mould was taken out of service in 1953.  So they could make cylinder
into around 1955.  I also have a great electrical machine from the late
40s with an 8-inch speaker that was designed to play these dictation
lesson cylinders in the classroom. It can beautifully play Blue Amberols
if I increase the speed and release and move the feedscrew every ten
seconds or so.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com