[78-L] HOW to Play HOWs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 19:17:11 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> That is a good system.  I also found that you can clamp a clothes pin to the
> spindle and this will keep most of  'em flat.
>
> Taylor

During the audiofools' turntable mat craze, they developed a number of
record weights to "couple" the record to the turntable platter.  One of
the things that was mentioned is that weights could cause problems and
wear with the center bearing of the table and with the loose suspension
of some of the tables, and that clamps -- which were much fancier and
more expensive than Taylor's clothes pin --  would be a better idea
unless you had a heavy duty table.  Also remember that Berliner machines
and early Victors had threaded spindles and a hold-down clamp.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com