[78-L] AM radio--WAS: acoustic recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 19:06:15 PST 2010

> . . . if a 1000KHz signal is modulated with a 14KHz sound,
> the sideband signals generated would be 1014 and 986 KHz,
> both well outside the station's assigned bandwidth...and
> interfering with broadcasters assigned frequencies of 1020 and 980 KHz...?!
> Steven C. Barr

AM stations do not have an assigned bandwidth.  They only have an
assigned center frequency.  The station at the "frist adjacent
frequencies" to the 1000 KHz station, 990 and 1010, are assigned enough
distance and power to not be able to interfere with their first
adjacents.  They are allowed to completely overlap each other because
during the day they will not be heard in the territory of the other
station. At nighttime many of the stations sign off, reduce power, or go
to directional antennas.  It was the second adjacent stations, 980 and
1020 that were the problems.  In the late 60s the FCC started a policy
of "short-spacing" which meant that some of these second adjacents were
too close together or too powerful.  Audio above 10K would cause
splatter over the 2nd adjacents IF the radios had a bandwidth that could
hear those high frequencies. So the radio manufacturers started to dumb
down their AM sections and reduce the bandwidth, which filtered out all
the high audio frequencies.   The  reviewers at the magazines would give
the audio response for FM sections but ignored this on AM sections where
it was more important.  Before anybody noticed it, most AM radios and
tuners had top audio response to only 3.5 K.  So radio stations started
to emphasize the highs even more to try to push the sound through, and
this made the interference worse.

In the 1980s the broadcasters requested the FCC to require the receiver
manufacturers to widen their bandwidth AND require the reduction of the
transmitter frequency response to match.  Because of the misguided
"marketplace" policy of the Reagan appointed FCC Chair, Mark Fowler,
they said it could be voluntary.  Of course nobody did anything because
both sides had to happen in order for it to work.  In the late 90s the
FCC enacted NRSC, National Radio Systems Committee, which did restrict
the frequency response of stations to 10KHZ, and the broadcasters
encouraged radio manufacturers to improve their bandwith.  A few radios
are good at that, such as the GE SuperRadio III and the Grundig A-350.
But stations still overlap their first adjacent stations but no longer
overlap the second adjacent.  There are some papers about this at the
National Radio Systems Committee website.

http://www.nrscstandards.org/SG/NRSC-1-A.pdf

http://www.nrscstandards.org/SG/NRSC-2-A.pdf

The first two show the history and the transmitter rules.  The nest
paper gives the test results of about 50 radios.  If you take a look at
page 57 you will see that even the famous Bose Wave Radio stinks, with a
frequency response down to -22 db at 5 KHz.  The problem of AM sound is
in the radios.

http://www.nrscstandards.org/SG/NRSC-G100.pdf

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com