[78-L] Washing records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Feb 13 18:56:11 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> Suffice it to say that shellac records can be SEVERLY affected...in fact,
>> destroyed...
>> by long-ish-term exposure to water...?! So, cleaning 78's with/involving
>> water is
>> NOT a realistic choice!
from the Disc Doctor's compounds, which ARE well known and
> reliable, effective cleaning can be done with a mixture of PhotoFlow and
> Distilled water, which is what I use in the Monks. No harm to shellac,
> vinyl or
> lacquer, and it gives me pep and zest and I can throw away my crutches.

However...I'm NOT "in the market" for esoteric devices/programs which
will extract 99.99% of the content of a given 78rpm phonorecord! In fact
I no longer hear well enough (or 15-20000 Hz?!) to be able to hear and
identify whether one of my many 78's is reproduced to its maximum...?!

Steven C. Barr