[78-L] "Value" of 78s

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Feb 13 13:57:39 PST 2010

> When we refer to "crap" are we talking about the contents or commonness
> of them? As far as jazz 78s are concerned, many of the best ones are the
> commonest. It's only things like Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, Clarence
> Williams's Blue Five etc. that command high prices. Other high price
> items are not necessarily of great musical merit.
>
>      Julian Vein

Good question,  Julian.  My view of "crap" is material where the supply
nearly always exceeds the demand...and of course there are plenty of good
and enjoyable records which don't fetch any money.

I'm not sure what the general perception is about a "high price"  but there
are plenty of dance band items for which I've paid a lot of money on actual
auctions,  such as Nauck and some of the better eBay sellers.  By "lot of
money" I mean $35 or more...sometimes over a hundred and once in a great
while over two hundred.  I wish they had been cheaper but I wasn't about to
let some of them go,  since I'd not come across a chance to buy them in
forty years of collecting.

This does not explain the occasional bursts of insanity I've seen where
fairly common 24000 Victor dance bands were fetching 200 -  300 each for no
apparent reason.

So there is a lot of room between "78s are mostly worth a buck each" and
what someone might pay for a pristine Oliver Okeh.

Taylor