[78-L] multi-horning, was acoustic recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 09:57:18 PST 2010

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> I've seen a multi-horn phonograph, Kurt owns it, or did, if he didn't
> sell it. Not stereo, it was just intended to be loud. I recall he showed
> an image of it at an ARSC Conference some time ago.
>
> joe salerno

Of course the question was about recording, not playback.  But there
were several machines like Joe mentions, such as the Duophone.  Some had
a horn on either side of the diaphragm -- which would provide sound that
was out of phase in each horn and could slightly cancell each other out
if pointing in the same direction -- or that used a dual reproducer
which had the two styli an inch or so apart to provide an echo effect.
Lastly is the famous Coloumbia Graphophone Multiplex Grand which used a
large cylinder with three horns and three recorders/reproducers.  This
was capable of three channel stereo in 1899.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com