[78-L] acoustic recording

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 13 07:02:33 PST 2010

Here is a humorous passage from the book, "Sylvester Ahola, the
Gloucester Gabriel" by Dick Hill.
These are Hoolie's words. They refer to his visits to the Pathe and
Perfect studios in New York in early 1927 along with his friend, pianist
Phil Wall. This was while they were working for Paul Specht.

"They had an unusual process of recording, which operated there in the
studio. A cylinder, about 8 to 10 inches in length and 5 or 6 inches in
diameter, would be put on this mandrel, and they would crank up this big
weight on a cable to the ceiling by a pulley. When the weight came down
it revolved the cylinder, and we would see all the happening while we
were recording. The wax cylinder was on the mandrel, and they would have
to tap it carefully to get it off. Sometimes they'd break one and we'd
have to record it again. That's why there would often be several takes
before one came off cleanly! They sold records for 35 cents, whilst the
Columbia, Victors And Brunswick sold for 75 cents. Much cheaper, but a
lot of jazz and other important recordings were made there."

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.