[78-L] Washing records - ARC

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Feb 12 23:45:57 PST 2010

From: <78records at cdbpdx.com>
>> One thing I just learned. I recently acquired an old blue shellac AMERICAN
>> RECORD COMPANY disc with COAX ME on it. What I learned was DO NOT ATTEMPT
>> TO CLEAN IT WITH ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL! Everywhere the alcohol touched left a
>> dull rough surface. This lovely record now has about 1 square inch of
>> damaged surface. Should have done a test patch on the blank backside
>> first. Rats! CDB

I had wondered if someone would comment on this as I had forgotten to
early on and I thought all the other postings were on this subject.
Only Steve Barr remembered.  We really wonder what possessed you to try
alcohol -- except that it IS noted by Edison company material that
Diamond Discs can be cleaned with alcohol.  Whenever cleaning materials
are sold, including Discwasher, Nitty Gritty, Keith Monbks, etc., it is
always noted that the fluids with even a tiny half or one percent
alcohol are ONLY for VINYL, and that there are special alcohol-free
formulas available for shellac 78s.  And alcohol can be found in other
things you might use around records but must not.  I particular note
that Lysol Spray is deadly to shellac records, and you might not even
realize that the airborne vapor might spread over to where the records
might be -- including the edges exposed at the top of sleeved records in
shelves.  I had a broken junk 40s era Red Seal sitting on top of some
stuff when I sprayed some Lysol in the opposite direction to clear out
some mustiness.  A few minutes later I noted that there were white
speckles all over the exposed part of the broken Red Seal -- one half
was on top of the other half -- and the covered part was bright and shiny.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com