[78-L] "Value" of 78s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 12 20:32:52 PST 2010

Just to clarify..I've paid big bucks for certain records, album sets or
transcriptions. I've also traded high for items like the Laurel & Hardy 78 (the
trade was $300..never mind that the items traded may have cost only a few
dollars in the first place, which is part of knowing what to buy and when to
part with it). And I've acquired thousands of good records and thousands of
mediocre ones for pennies or less, since I'm one of the "go to" people when
folks have basements that need emptying. If they're free, you take 'em first
and sort 'em out later. If you see potentially fabulous items among the dreck
and you aren't a dealer, you make an offer on the whole load rather than tip
your hand by singling out the good stuff, unless the seller has "read a book".

This is not to take away from the reputable auction dealers and fixed price
sellers out there. They know their merchandise and they know their customers,
although you can often get a good deal by finding their weak spots..I often got
great rare classical items from Mike Stewart, because nobody else bid on them.

Eat or be eaten.

dl