[78-L] acoustic recording

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Feb 12 08:57:59 PST 2010

78s didn't disappear till 1958, stereo LPs didn't disappear in 1982 (in fact
they're still being manufactured).

dl

I realize that, of course.  I'm talking about the periods when the various formats were the industry standard.  Aside from the change from acoustic to electrical, format changes took some time since it involved consumers having to update their listening equipment, (another format which dissappeared almost overnight was the Laser Disc when DVDs were introduced).  I don't think acoustic recording was totally abandoned until around 1930 and mono LPs were being made of historic recordings throughout the stereo LP era.

db