[78-L] Washing records

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Fri Feb 12 06:55:50 PST 2010

Hi David,

For over 18 years, following 10 years of development & evaluation, we have offered applicators, fluid & a suggested procedure that can safely & thoroughly clean shellac, lacquer, acetate, Diamond Disc & vinyl disc recordings.  This process can be used with either manual or vacuum-assisted removal of fluids; used as directed the result is the same regardless of how the fluids are removed.  Common household soaps & detergents do not leave residues that can affect playback, support the growth mold & mildew & contrary to the view of many are simply not thorough.

The integrity of the record surface is obviously of concern but this approach has never been shown to harm intact laminated surfaces.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

On Feb 12, 2010, at 12:36 AM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:

> Michael Biel wrote:
>
> But you have to COMPLETELY dry the records and keep them dry in order
> for this to happen.  There are also different grades of shellac, and the
> shellac used for Red Seal records is well known to be more resistant to
> water and moisture damage than used in black label Victors.

> Most of the records I've washed in this manner have been RCA red seals and I always dry them as much as and as fast as possible in order not to leave water marks.  I hesitate to wash Columbias because of the possibility of water getting in between the layers and causing damage.  But aside from buying an umpteen thousand dollar cleaning machine, what is considered to be the safest way to clean shellac records?
>
> db

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA
v/f 314 205 1388 thedoctor at discdoc.com