[78-L] Home Recording, 1930

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 11 22:24:46 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> I just ran across this while looking for something else:
>
> http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1253997378/A+home+recording+machine+from+1930

This is great but I wish she had posted the entire article.  The device
was manufactured by Presto, yes the same Presto.  The recording head was
not attached to the feedscrew but was balanced on top of it, with the
feedscrew resting in a leather-lined groove on the bottom of the head.
It could be fitted on a regular phonograph.  This picture does not
include any playback arm -- which would be necessary to play it.  I
don't have any indication that Presto actually marketed any bare
aluminum discs themselves, but relied on Remson or SpeakOPhone discs.
I've never actually seen one of these, but have photos from other
articles in magazines from the same era.  But none of them have that
nifty drawing of the gal in the loose Jean Harlow type dress.
>  From the Bixography site. http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/
>
> Note that it relates to speculation about private recordings of Bix, which
> existed at one time.

Possible but nothing has turned up yet.  I have a letter dated June 29,
1977 from a Bix researcher Paul Hutcoe who also conjectured if there
were any airchecks of the Camel Pleasure Hour, just like the Bixology
site respondent wondered about.  Hutcoe did say that he owned 2 aluminum
discs of a June 1931 Paul Whiteman broadcast from the Edgewater Beach
Hotel in Chicago from WJZ which was recorded by Harvey Radio for Warren
Scholl, from whom Hutcoe purchased them.  He reports there is a
performance of Tiger Rag with a Traumbauer/Secrest chase chours, and the
first part of Nevertheless which runs out just before the Mildred Bailey
vocal.  He also reported hearing a 16-inch shellac center start disc
Little Cafes Episode No.2  Radio Attractions Inc, dated 7/29//30 which
contains at least two Bix solos and one by Secrest.  He also heard
Trambauder and either Venuti or Malnneck.   The first number was By the
Bend of the River and he was unable to jot down the next title.  In the
shellac after the date was #647 and 8-C-2.  The disc was owned by Frank
Pope.

Try as I might, I was never able to get either a letter or telephone
response from Hutcoe.  His address was the Hotel Consulate on W 49th,
and I wrote and called but no response.

Does anybody know if the Whiteman aircheck that Hutcoe got from Scholl
has ever been issued?  Has the Little Cafes disc that Pope own ever been
issued?   Anybody ever heard of Hutcoe?  I know who Pope was.

> Lots of other fascinating stuff here, by the way.
>
> dl

That might be the forum to post this info to.  Anybody belong to it?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com