[78-L] William Tell

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 11 20:04:42 PST 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]
>>> cosmetics.
>>> dl
>>>
>>> I can't imagine the storm segment of the WTO with lyrics, do you not mean
>>> the finale?
>>> I have a 78 somewhere with words to the finale of the overture called,
>>> "Now that we're in Love", (I think it's sung by Barbara Ruick).
>>> db
>> Here's the lyric to the main theme:
>>      Julian Vein
>>
> I recall having heard/read a while ago that the easiest way to identify a
> true lover of
> classical music is this: he/she/it can hear the finale of William Tell
> WITHOUT thinking
> of the Lone Ranger...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

It took me many years but I finally found a copy of the actual recording used
originally as the Lone Ranger theme, before the producers had all the cues
recorded in Mexico in the late 30s (Graham Newton will correct me if I'm wrong
on the date). Victor Symphony Orchestra conducted by Rosario Bourdon, Victor
20607. Pryor's Band, that version you can find everywhere..ditto Toscanini's.
The Bourdon seemed to be a hard one for some reason although it was still in
the 1940 catalog.