[78-L] Sparton and Quality

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 11 19:16:15 PST 2010

Don't know how I ever missed "The Song of the Barefoot Mailman".

I don't know who wrote this blurb:
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0003284
Sparton closed up shop in the late spring or early summer of 1968. I remember
it well because suddenly we couldn't get the Canadian issues of records we were
waiting for.

This has decent reproductions (scroll halfway down) of Sparton's 78 and 45
labels, one of the best designed labels.
http://www.colorradio.com/Slades.htm
And for good measure, Reo and the Canadian version of Liberty. Another example
of indy labels being picked up by different Canadian distributors (Sparton,
Quality)..since when is Sparton a "ghost label", incidentally? And where did
this guy loin to talk English, where?

dl