[78-L] Sparton and Quality

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 11 11:41:51 PST 2010

Polygon was eventually sold to Nixa/Pye. I think I've seen Pet Clark on Quality
in Canada, early to mid 50s..Sparton and Quality picked up all the indy labels
they could get and Apex and London had many of them as well. Phonodisc began
making inroads around 1956 and grabbed Kapp (originally with Quality on the Reo
label) and used Regency for most of the little labels. Sometimes the Canadian
label dealt directly with the UK..Sparton had direct access to Oriole, for
instance, and issued Russ Hamilton's "Rainbow" without a stop groove. And I
think the two parts of Cozy Cole's "Topsy" are split between Quality and
Sparton. Could be wrong about that one.

dl