[78-L] Record Stores

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 11 10:06:55 PST 2010

When  I get started on the project (after this one is over)  I'll want
to look at the company paperwork Geoffrey mentions.  There are also a
lot of details about the early exclusive distributorships and franchises
in Edison and Victor dealer publications, and as Steve Barr noted  Gray
Gull had an interesting distributing situation, and this has been well
researched and documented by Donna Halper.  All of the early independent
labels have stories to add to the history.  I'm going to look thru these
listings of dealers, the American Record Guide's listings and ads, trade
press, newspaper ads, and phone & business directories.  As I mentioned,
the story is there in the original documentation and publications.  Most
of the vinyl-era writers are not delving back thru these sources and
spread folk tales.  I'll also want store photos -- I'm already using a
bunch in the pre-Steinweiss project.  But hold off on this now till the
Summer, unless you have some photos of stores displaying illustrated
album covers before April 1940.  I already have some, but could use
more.  (Since I'm home and not limited by web mail box size, scans are
welcome.)

And those of you in other countries, you could also embark on a project
concerning the stores in your countries.  And here in the states and
Canada, researching the individual cities you live in would also be a
good project because you have access to our own newspapers and phone
books.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com