[78-L] GASTON ST JACQUES recordings

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Feb 10 20:12:25 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Han Enderman" <jcenderman at solcon.nl>
> Actually this VT 7000 series is a very odd series (see ODP, which is
> rather incomplete).
> It starts with comic Uncle Josh & Levinsky monologues (7006, 7009, 7012),
> and
> reissues with unidentified artists (7018 TENOR SOLO; 7021 BAND).
> The stamper visible on 7018 "Where is my wandering boy to-night?" is C-15,
> indicating this
> was a popular issue.
> VT 7027 is VIOLIN SOLO: The Devil's Dream Reel / Mrs. McLeod's Reel,
> and I would expect this in Spottswood's dg (and assume it isn't?).
>
>>xFrom 7028 on the artists are mentioned on the label and maybe this
>>accounts for
> this issue being the starting point in ODP.
> Next issues include country artists (Dalhart, Jack Turner, Autrey), but
> also Boyd Senter,
> Lena Wilson, Duke Ellington, Hokum Trio, and Hotel Pennsylvania Music.
>
> What was the intention of this 7000 series?
> Maybe it was the first VT series (cheap reissues) and soon joined by the
> VT 1000 series?

I don't have any catalogues for these labels (I doubt if there WERE any?);
however,
the 7xxx series seems to have been a "standard" series. It reissued a fair
number of
older Columbia sides which would fall into that category...and later (like
many such
series on different labels) was used for country sides (and a few "race"
sides. Note
that Ha/VT/usw. did NOT have series for race or country material?!

Steven C. Barr