[78-L] Glantz and Raderman brewing up a storm

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Feb 10 20:04:40 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lewis" <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com>
> http://www.archive.org/details/NathanGlantzOrchestra-AfterTheStorm
>
> Just posted one fairly noisy side of Emerson 10743, which I have on an old
> tape, to the Internet Archive. I like this record because in the middle of
> this mawkish, rather foursquare dance tune they break into a rip-roaring
> chorus based on the "storm" from Rossini's William Tell Overture. Another
> section of the same storm was used to open Ted Lewis Popular Favorites,
> Columbia S-1. This was recorded a few months later, and I wonder if there
> is a connection -- perhaps Harry Raderman is present on the Glantz side
> and was the source of both ideas.

The "storm" segment of the William Tell piece is one of those works which
has pretty
well become a cliche...when I was a child, my dad had a 16mm movie projector
and
a very few commercial films, One was a Mighty Mouse cartoon which depicted a
storm at sea...and used Rossini's piece as background!

There are a couple of other pieces that have also become musical
"cliches"...!

Steven C. Barr