[78-L] Nipper and horn on UK ebay

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 10 19:29:38 PST 2010

John Wright wrote:
> The Nipper looks real but surely the horn and turntable are repro-fake?

Depends what you mean by "real".  There have been Nipper models made for
more than 50 years until just about today.
> He says it's been in the corner for 25 years, I don't even think its 25
> years old.

The horn joint and tone-arm are conveniently hidden by Nipper in each of
the photos.  But it is obvious that it is a Crapophone, but one of the
nicest ones I've seen.
> Over 100 pounds / dollars.....

I've said it before, that Crapophones can produce great sound, because
the reproducer and arm are designed to drive a tiny suitcase portable
horn, and if it now drives a big horn like this it can sound great.  And
another benefit is that the reproducer is designed to play modern
electrical 78s, so it usually won't blast like a pre-orthophonic would
on loud bassy records.   Considering the attractive -- but non-authentic
-- case, it would be worth this much as the Nipper would go for $30-40
at least.  But it will be bid up higher, and it shouldn't go higher than
about $150US or 100GBL.  But it MUST NOT be claimed as original.  That
would be lying (and you know how I react to lying).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190370904628&_rdc=1

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com