[78-L] Velvet Tone 7000 series

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Feb 10 18:11:29 PST 2010

I had overlooked these introduction dates in Sutton-Nauck.
My Diva label images are part of a prob. continuous numerical series from ca. Diva 2408-G on
(a popular Gus Mulcay recording from June 26), and lower numbers may be a few repressings of popular
Harmony material.
Har 407-H (acc. to Hendersonia also on Diva) is by the Dixie Stompers 23 Mar 27 and this agrees well with
a ca. May 27 release date.
Rust (ARLB) indeed says that VT started Sep 25 with 1001-V (= Har 1-H), but this must have been
wishful thinking to simplify matters.
VT issues are normal from ca # 1209 on or slightly earlier (ca. #1160), and Har 160 by University Six
was recd 23 Mar 26 (exactly one year before that Dixie Stompers) and thus agrees with a ca. May 26
release date.
And what a coincidence that Har 209 is by Dixie Stompers / University Six, recd Apr/May 26.

Very strange that VT kept those simple credits in the earliest 7000 series issues (Band; Tenor).
There were also some issues in VT 10000 & 10500 series, pres. same as similar Clarion series
(double track; Five Minutes).

Han Enderman
===
>>> According to Nauck & Sutton's label book Columbia claimed use of Velvet Tone from May, 1926 but Harmony was introduced in Sept. of 1925. It seems unlikely that all of the previous years' ephemera would have been re-released on the new label. Likewise Diva (use claimed since May, 1927) does not seem to have issued the earlier titles. Diva's 6000-G series used only the later titles but in different order and sometimes offering different takes from the VT's. There is no mention of the 7000 series nor any Harmony equivalent, only an undated quote from the Phonograph Monthly Review that "Many old Columbia records, having outlived their years of usefulness...are transferred to the Harmony list, where they see further service." Many of these titles had already been released anonymously on various client labels in the 'teens.
I have one VT 7000 of Steamboat Bill by Billy Murray which I cannot lay my hands on at the moment. Other titles are:

Velvet Tone 7015-V:
Nearer my God to thee Baritone solo. (397)
Let the lower lights be burning Baritone & tenor (3556)

Velvet Tone 7017-V:
Mother's Prayers Have Followed Me
Since Jesus Came Into My Heart
Baritone Solo