[78-L] Removing hiss, my earlier new approach revisited

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Feb 10 15:12:26 PST 2010

It's a little technical but I don't think it goes as far as
>"gobbledygook", however it didn't inspire any discussion.

Actually it did.  John had responded to your posting but had changed the
title to this one..  Look back to the first posting on this title and you
will see yours there.  And Joe Salerno had mentioned your concept in his
response to to John's retitled posting.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

I think I may either be missing some postings or something strange happened in this string.  One of them has a "David Burnham wrote:..." heading but only one line of it is actually mine.  All the rest of the quote came from somewhere else.

The string got involved with playing two 78s of the same recording and using those two sources, (which have the same music but totally different noise), to reduce the noise.  I touched on the difficulty of keeping two 78s synchronized because of the eccentricity of various pressings.  The thrust of my proposal was to use one record played in stereo through the coil I described.  I'm sure you, (Michael), and several others on the list have enough electronics experience to understand the behaviour of coils and how running the signal through two opposite wound coils on a common core will seriously diminish the noise signals which will get the full brunt of the coil's inductive impedance while the common signal, the music, will meet little impedance because the signal from each channel will neutralize the impedance to the signal in the opposite channel.  Thus the music and the noise can be substantially separated because of their different correlation
 factors, (the music will have a factor of "1" while the noise will have a factor of "0", as measured on a correlation meter).

db