[78-L] Freedom Fries^

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 10 13:27:57 PST 2010

> Bill Knowlton wrote:
>
>> "Be that as it may, back during gulf war two under GWB, the cafeterias
>> in the US Capitol renamed French Fries to 'Freedom Fries' in shades
>> of the newspeak of 1984".
>>

>> I always get quite a kick out of the "offense" some of my political friends on the left take on the Bush era's shocking use of "Freedom Fries" as a reaction to France's policies at the time.

Before you go shooting your mouth off about the France's policies, take
a look at what their policies actually were in 2004 instead of wollowing
in the mud with Bill O'Liely and his asinine boycott of France.

http://www.un.int/france/documents_anglais/041022_armee_facts_sheet.htm

*3) France is Actively Involved in Afghanistan*.

*- A total of 1,800 French troops are involved in the stabilization of
Afghanistan, including the French Navy’s contribution to Operation
Enduring Freedom*.

*- 950 French troops are deployed in that country as part of the
International Security Assistance Force*. France is also playing a
significant role in training the Afghan national army, alongside the
U.S. and the United Kingdom, having initially organized three Afghan
battalions of 500 men and being presently involved in the training of
all Afghan officers. Additionally, 200 special troops are involved
alongside American troops in the fight against the remnants of the
Taliban regime in southern Afghanistan.

- *In the wake of the 9/11 tragedy, France offered its military
resources and capabilities to support the American-led military
campaign, Operation Enduring Freedom/,/ in Afghanistan.* Immediately,
the exchanges of information between our naval commanders increased,
particularly in the Indian Ocean, thus intensifying the fight against
all types of trafficking.

*- Since October 21, 2001, French reconnaissance aircraft and air
tankers have contributed to the air campaign over Afghanistan*. They
were reinforced from the winter of 2001 to the summer of 2002 by French
naval aviation forces and French Air Force transport planes and
fighters. France was, indeed, the only country, along with the United
States, to have flown bombing missions over Afghanistan in direct
support of American ground troops, in particular during Operation
Anaconda. From October 23, 2001 to September 30, 2002, a total of 12,000
flying hours were conducted in support of operations in Afghanistan. The
Mirage 2000D and Super Etendard destroyed 33 targets linked to Al Qaeda
or the Taliban regime in direct support of American Special Forces.
Today, 130 military are based in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, helping to
operate the airport and supporting 2 transport aircraft, 3
reconnaissance jet fighters and 1 tanker engaged in the support of the
French contingent in Afghanistan.

*- French forces arrived early on the ground in Afghanistan*. From
December 2, 2001 to January 27, 2002, a reinforced company secured in
Mazar-e-Sharif the detachment of U.S. engineers repairing the airfield
in order to fly in humanitarian assistance. In total, some 5,500 French
soldiers were sent to the region.

*- The French Navy continues to patrol the Gulf of Aden and the Gulf of
Oman*. It has been monitoring commercial sea lanes, detecting and
boarding suspicious vessels, as well as escorting coalition boats
through the area since December 2001. France is the second largest
contributor to the maritime task force in charge of this mission.

*4) With 33,000 Troops Overseas, France is a Major U.S. Partner in
Advancing Security Throughout the World. *

*- In the broader context of international security, France is working
closely with the U.S. military to control proliferation and drug
trafficking*. The French Armed Forces in the Caribbean are closely
coordinating with the U.S. Joint Inter Agency Task Force South to
counter drug trafficking. The 7,000 French troops in the French
Caribbean and Guyana play a major role in this matter. They also made up
the bulk of the French contribution to the multinational interim force
in Haiti (870 servicemen, 24% of MIFH), which was recently terminated.

*- France became a full partner in the Proliferation Security
Initiative*, *following President Bush’s initiative. *France offered air
control training exercises, as well as contributions to, and
organization of, naval exercises. Last year, the French Navy also led a
PSI exercise, code-named Basilic, in Toulon.

- *10,000 French forces are present in the Pacific region and the
Southern Indian Ocean*, where they are controlling sea lanes and
protecting important areas for the preservation of natural wealth. They
are also able to assist countries of the region ravaged by conflicts or
natural disasters, such as the East Timor crisis or typhoons in Madagascar.