[78-L] Cany Anyone Identify this Singer

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 07:58:27 PST 2010

This thread brings up a question that's been on my mind for years since I
started listening to music from this era.

Clearly there were some singers who made records who were horrible singers.
They've been mentioned so there's no need to list them. How did many of them
continue to record if they were that bad? Let's remember we are not dealing
with the big band era, where a bad singer could sink the fortunes of a band,
or the rock and roll doo-wop era, where many of those groups were just plain
out of tune. Were the sales of records with these singers that strong to
warrant them continuing to record?

Back in the twenties and thirties, weren't there listening booths or other
ways people could hear records before they bought them? Wouldn't someone
hearing a horrible singer pass up such a record. Or are we talking about a
style of singing that was popular in certain segments of the population that
just sounds terrible to us today?

Jeff Sultanof