[78-L] Removing hiss - yet another idea

John Wright vintage at jabw.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 9 01:12:29 PST 2010

In message Mark writes

>Isn't that pretty much the same as declicking a mono recording saved in
>stereo, then combining the 2 tracks?

Mark,

THAT is what I do in my own transfers, but where you haven't declicked
you've still got the background noise, and that noise will be similar
both channels.

The idea I described uses the sound off TWO different 78s where the
noise is going to be different all the way through because it's
different shellac. If a program can extract sound common on both 78s
(mainly the music) then that should be a good noise reduction.

Trying to follow this thread - and maybe it's been done before with two
different 78s synchronised.

--
John Wright