[78-L] fwd: FW: Sinatra Song Often Strikes Deadly Chord ^

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 8 15:34:54 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> David Lewis wrote:
>
>> I'm David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca wrote
>> I'm sure there's a moral in here somewhere. dl
>>

>> Actually, thanks for posting this as I was curious about it; I saw the header
>> but was unable to go to it as my browser wouldn't allow it, insisting it was an infected site.
>>
>> Someone should clarify that the song is Paul Anka's, not Sinatra's, and Anka indeed often strikes a deadly chord.
>>

> Yeah, I would think "Havin' My Baby" would cause more mayhem than "My Way". I
> can live without ever hearing "She's A Lady" again as well.
>
> dl

Actually the article specifically says that Anka wrote the song, saying

>>> The lyrics, written by Paul Anka for Mr. Sinatra
>>> as an unapologetic summing up of his career, are
>>> about a tough guy who “when there was doubt,”
>>> simply “ate it up and spit it out.”

The highlight of the article for me was:
>>> a Thai man killed eight of his neighbors in a rage
>>> after they sang John Denver’s “Take Me Home,Country Roads.”

On our first trip to Munich, Germany we came up out of the underground right in the center of the city, in Rathaus Square, in the middle of an anniversary celebration for the city.  There up on a wooden platform in the square was an oom-pah band playing "Take me home to the place I belong West Virginia, Mountain Mama, take me home, country roads."  The three of us had to travel 5,000 miles from Kentucky to hear about the lousy winding mountain roads of West Virginia???!!!  Weren't they supposed to be oom-pahing about the Alps?

Of course, some people get bent out of shape when they hear Elvis singing "My Way".  I get more angry about hearing NY City officially playing Sinatra's cover of the song written for Liza Minnelli "New York, New York".  A couple of years ago she had been interviewed on one of the Times Square New Year's Eve telecasts and then at midnight, right after 30 seconds of Guy Lombago, the city's PA burst out with Sinatra while the camera could even see the Winter Garden's marquee where Liza's show was playing.  I thought that Sinatra had proclaimed that Chicago was his kind of town.  At least Liza is loyal.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com