[78-L] Removal of hiss - a different approach

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 7 16:45:25 PST 2010

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> OK, instead of attempting to remove noise/hiss by scanning a record, is
> there a way to chemically treat the surface to smooth out small
> imperfections that would cause noise?

Read ahead...I suppose a liquid could be used that might prove to be
harmless, but generally not water.
> Obviously one might not wish to do this with a unique artifact. Assume
> you are transferring a common 78 for a reissue project. If the record
> could be treated to fill the microscopic pits without distorting the
> shape of the groove that the stylus needs to follow, would this make a
> significant difference in noise? Would making the determination be any
> easier than determining the difference in music and noise electronically?

Depends upon. We are mainly talking in the theoretical here anyways,
because such technology is not available yet. I wish it was. Perhaps one
of you smarties out there can do it with laser pointers and a 2X4 cut
into small pieces.
> Is the noise caused by little bits of wax torn from the surface by the
> recording process? Is that why a heated stylus makes a quieter groove?
> It is my understanding that this is so.

I think these are removed during the clean-prep process. Though better
quality pressings go though more process and are more carefully done,
and the quality of the medium is higher. And, of course, no one intended
for these recordings to be in pristine condition sometimes over 100
years after being made.

And we can forget all this idea on a recording that does not have a
continuous groove. That is where the computer would come in. Imagine
being able to scan an area of a badly fragmented disk or one that has
become delaminated, then matching it up to a row of grooves in another
piece, then doing this over and over until the entire track is
assembled. Using built in parameters to calculate pitch change per
revolution, pitch change due to distortion or shrinkage, this could even
be accomplished on demolished medium.

Add this to my original "Packburn" concept and you could have the basis
of a restoration process.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.