[78-L] Gennett test???

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Feb 7 13:10:39 PST 2010

I have many label images of these Boris Rose issues, which exist with several label variants.
There are 2 numerical series:
- number between parentheses after title;
- "No. 8 of a Series (SP10)" (example) for Bix "Lazy Daddy".
The latter also exists with a professionally produced yellow label, with printed personnel.
Maybe the unnumbered items were early dubs, or made on special order.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Regarding the so-called Gennett Test, the label text looks similar to
what I have seen on 78 dubs produced by Boris Rose on his Vinylite Jazz
Re-Issues. Some I have look one-of-a-kind, but I doubt they are. One of
his pet phrases printed on such labels is: "Use Only Shadowgraphed
Steel or Sapphire Playback." Some issues were pressed in red vinyl. I
haven't seen this particular disc, but Rose did put out a number of
Oliver dubs. I never talked with or met Boris Rose but have heard
stories from various people about their contacts with him. I'm told
that if you wanted a dub of a particular 78 recording and he had the
source, he would custom-dub it for you. His various LP labels are far
more common. He would apparently record anything and everything off
radio and television sound, whether it interested him or not. His aim
was to make money where he could. Where modern jazz is concerned, Rose
provided a number of historically valuable recordings on LP from the
late 1940s and early 1950s. From time to time, I have seen some of his
actual acetates offered for sale by auction.
 Geoffrey Wheeler
<<<