[78-L] Charles Lindbergh's reception

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Sun Feb 7 10:07:40 PST 2010

I just got a copy of Victor 20747, Charles Lindbergh's reception at
Washington, DC. Can anyone shed light on the process used to record
this? Are these studio recreations of a radio broadcast or actual
aircheck recordings?  I notice that the A side is take 5 and the B
side is take 3 in the runout. Why wouldn't they both be take 1 if from
airchecks? Perhaps it took multiple attempts to successfully "mix" the
master recordings? Also, according to www.78discography.com, the
matrix numbers for the two sides are nearly 500 numbers apart (mx.
38955 and mx. 39413). Why so far apart?

Thanks,
Bryan