[78-L] Victrola vv-80

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 7 07:48:44 PST 2010

I hesitate to help you because your rusted needles will definately ruin
your records MUCH faster than new needles which you know have never been
used and you will use only once.  The rust will grind into the record
because they are hard particles that also create a rough surface on the
point as well as masking whether the needle has been previously used or not.

Also, your statement about how loud it is leads me to believe that the
reproducer needs overhauling and new rubber gaskets.  The loudness is
probably blasting, and a bad reproducer will kill records.

That being said, you have probably reassembled the governor
incorrectly.  Spring motors are set to run too fast, and the governor
brings it down to the proper speed.  The governor is the little device
with two or three little ball weights on springs which spin.  The speed
adjust felt pad rests on the smooth disc on the end of the governor and
adjusts how far from the shaft the balls can spin.  This changes the
speed of the rotation of the governor, and changes the speed of the
turntable.

I have repair manuals and some have been reprinted.  I'm looking now to
find some on the web that you can see right now.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com