[78-L] Kookaburra lawsuit

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sat Feb 6 20:13:20 PST 2010

This is from an article I wrote several years about this for Smart Licensing, a newsletter I edited for Music Reports, Inc.

On
March 4, 1924, one Robert H. Coleman published a collection of songs entitled Harvest
Hymns that included the song Good Morning to You, which featured the
Happy Birthday to You lyrics in the second stanza. The melody was
identical to the one the Hills wrote in 1893, however, there is no credit
listed for either the words or the music, nor is there any copyright notice
listed (Recently, a version of the song published in 1915 has come to light
with similar details.).

It is the contention of some researchers, most
notably one Bob Katzmarek of Katzmarek Publishing, that the 1935 copyright for Happy
Birthday to You is invalid (he offers “proof” of this for a $35.00 fee.).
Katzmarek’s claim is based on the Coleman collection and a section of the 1909
Copyright Act that states that any song that has been published without a
stated author or copyright notice becomes public domain. Since no notice was
included in Coleman’s publication, this renders Jessica Hill’s 1935 copyright
of Happy Birthday to You invalid as an original composition.

Cary Ginell