[78-L] 15, 000 opera 78s for $12K: 2 competing dealers - Frederick Md vs L Ho ldridge

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sat Feb 6 13:53:43 PST 2010

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com wrote:

>> Does anyone have an idea who the Frederick dealer might be?  (I have a hunch.)  He made a cool 2 grand just for getting there first.

> I think your hunch is correct -- he shares your initials, right?

Yes, indeed!

Also, what kind of "room" can house 15000 78s, where they are not stacked up in dense rows of boxes?

How many collectors keep their collections on shelves in warehouses?  I know of two, one in Frederick Maryland and one in York Pennsylvania.  Also, does anyone (Kurt N?) know what ever happened to the 100,000 records in the Providence RI warehouse?  To gain entry the first time, I had to wait until the associate of the person who guided me there got out of jail after he being arrested for coca*ne distribution.  (What a scene that was!)  My guide told me the 100,000 records had been in something like a third-storey walkup apartment.  The records had been stored something like 3 deep./steve