[78-L] Kookaburra lawsuit

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 6 11:52:08 PST 2010

Don Chichester wrote:
> I once owned a copy of the ABC Kookaburra bird heard on the broadcasts of Radio Australia.

I have a copy of this that I got from Ross Laird.  I think it was on
Columbia -- it would take me a while to find it.  To explain, we're not
talking about the song but the sound of "Jacko"  the Kookaburra bird
that Radio Australia used to open each broadcast with.  The nickname of
the bird is "laughing jackass" hence the name "Jacko" to the particular
bird they used.

>  Is this still on shortwave?  Don

They cut back quite a bit on their international service about ten years
ago, even their Pacific Islands service which was practically the only
radio in some areas.  I think it is still there but not easy to hear.

I assume that the song that was the subject of the lawsuit was also on
numerous 78s.  It is interesting that the lawyer said that it is too bad
that the woman who wrote the song did not geet royalties from Men At
Work during her lifetime -- the publishers bought the song after her
death.  I Was going to comment -- but one of the commenters already did
-- that we don't know if perhaps she DID know of the interpolation of
her song and APPROVED of it and didn't ask for royalties!   Some of the
commenters said that they did not hear any similarity at all -- but of
course there IS.  They were listening to the SONG, not the little flute
riff BEHIND the song.  The judge has already said that it was not an
important part of the song, and hopefully give them maybe only 10% or so.

Cary talks about classroom use of songs, but you have to remember that
public performance royalties are venue-based.  I am not sure about
public schools, but I would think that there might be a system-wide
blanket license that would cover all uses at any school in the system
including the marching band at football games, and songs at dances,
talent shows, school concerts, both students and outside acts.  This
would include classrooms.  I know at the university there are site
licenses that include all this and the radio station as well.   There is
some fair use for instructional and discussion purposes, but remember
that there are things which are published specifically for instructional
purposes.  They have to have the ability to get paid for this use.  It
is not all free, but is usually expected by the teacher to have been
taken care of by the venue -- the school administration.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com