[78-L] Question about Brian Rust

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Feb 6 11:47:09 PST 2010

Mike Biel cmments/asks: Brian did write and publish a little book a
long time ago on the basics
of discography which I have around here somewhere.  What I wopuld be
interested in these early articles would be if he proposes what he
eventually did -- center on recording dates and matrix numbers rather
than on issued records and catalog numbers as it was being done up to
that time.

The first actual discography I came across in Jazz Tempo starts on page
3 of the July 5, 1943 issue titled “The OKeh-Columbia Discgraphy (Part
1).” Editor John Howe refers to these as “excerpts.” The model Rust
uses is to present the information by group and known or probable
personnel, recording date (month/year), tune title (with matrix number
in parentheses), and label/catalog number. In some cases, this includes
recordings also issued on (E) Parlophone. Part 1 ran not quite one
page. Part 2 “will deal with the complete set of titles recorded by the
Original Memphis Five.”