[78-L] Question about Brian Rust

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 6 10:37:39 PST 2010

Julian Vein wrote:
> Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
>
>> I have a most of the published copies of Jazz Tempo, “Official Bulletin
>> of the North London & Southgate Jazz Society,” published in 1943.

>>  A number of these issues have discographic articles by Brian
>> Rust. To anyone’s knowledge are these the earliest published writings
>> by Rust? Have they ever been collected and published as a small
>> compilation? Thank you.
>>
> Are they worth reprinting. I don't mean are they any good, but are they
> redundant in light of later information and research?
>
>       Julian Vein

Brian did write and publish a little book a long time ago on the basics
of discography which I have around here somewhere.  What I wopuld be
interested in these early articles would be if he proposes what he
eventually did -- center on recording dates and matrix numbers rather
than on issued records and catalog numbers as it was being done up to
that time.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com