[78-L] Removal of hiss on 78 transfers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 6 06:40:59 PST 2010

The system you're proposing has long interested me as a way to play broken
records or, more importantly, lacquers which have begun to peel. In this case,
the lacquer has also shrunk and doesn't line up with the surface on the other
side of the gap, but the recorded information is still there and could
theoretically be realigned. I have a batch of discs Peter Fulop asked me to
transfer, and 7 of the 15 sides have deteriorated (and are continuing to
deteriorate) in this manner, but the performance is worth salvaging..a Mahler
Symphony conducted by Erno Rapee (what, the Symphony of a Thousand complete
with the Rockettes?).

dl