[78-L] Golden & Golden and who knows what else

bruce78rpm at comcast.net bruce78rpm at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 06:07:41 PST 2010

Golden & Hughes was the first of a long line of two-man comedy teams that delivered jokes in a black dialect.

Billy Golden (born William Shires, 1858-1926; started his career in 1874 doing a black-face talking act in vaudeville. Before that, he was a butcher boy in the Union Market. He originated the "cane pat" which became popular with buck dancers, and he was one of the earliest "named" artists to make Berliner discs (prior to this, Berliner discs did not name any artists who performed on the disc).

Joe Hughes (born Joseph Sovey, 1863-1922?; had performed in vaudeville for many years before teaming up with Billy Golden in 1907. After performing with Golden for a moderate length of time, he retired from the entertainment business to tend to a farm of his in Massachusetts. However, Hughes teamed up with Golden again in 1919, albeit briefly. The last sessions for Golden & Hughes were recorded in 1920.