[78-L] Silence (no 78 hiss) on CD issues

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Feb 5 19:39:29 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <rockined1 at aol.com>
> THat's why I bought the 2nd Robert Johnson box set
> when a 78 is played on a turntable. I like that
> ecord hiss!! It doesn't bother me at all & should be left intact on
> D issues

ANYONE who listens to 78rpm phonorecords (by definition, ALL of us
here on *78*-L...?!) is, or should be, used to the inevitable background
of shellac-record-defined "noise! Our votes are still "out" as to whether
the texture of 78rpm phonorecords was intended to wear the steel
needle to fit the groove dimensions, or was an unintended byproduct
of the problem of manufacturing records with any durability; however,
analog "records," particularly 78's, play with audible "noise!"

In about 35 years (well, more than that if I include my childhood...?!)
of listening to "78's," my mind has become adept at filtering "noise"
from content whilst listening to 78's (and other analog sound
recordings...!)

However, the powers that be in today's sound-recording business
still find it necessary to issue "records" that demonstrate the absolute
and definining absence of "surface noise" on Compacr Discs!?"

Comment ca va...?

Steven C. Barr