[78-L] Removal of hiss on 78 transfers

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Fri Feb 5 16:45:30 PST 2010

>In a posting I submitted several months ago, (and which was shot
>down at the time by Dr. Biel), I stated that I have believed for
>many years that it is technically feasible, (if not already
>possible), to capture the music completely intact from the grooves
>of a 78 without any noise whatsoever.

This is already being worked on at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory:

http://irene.lbl.gov/

This sound restoration system was developed for use by the Library of Congress.

This optical system does not produce noiseless playback. On a worn
record it is not such a simple thing to determine the position of the
cutting stylus. Groove damage can make it hard to tell where the
groove is at all using this technique, and this optical system has to
interpolate in order to "play through" bad spots.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/