[78-L] Silence (no 78 hiss) on CD issues

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Feb 5 09:33:47 PST 2010

Martha wrote:
> When recording acoustically, performers DID hear surface noise.   The sound
> of the stylus against the wax is projected through the recording horn.

This is a forgotten part of the history of sound recording.  It was a
unique experience to make an acoustical recording, and is why some
pioneering performers like Billy Murray found electrical recording
disconcerting at first.  The performer not only heard the whurring sound
of the stylus against the wax but also heard their voice echoing and
resonating in the horn.  You've heard me talk about horn resonances in
acoustical recording, well, they're there in the recording horn, and the
experienced performer learned how to work with them much like a
performer in a concert hall hears the resonating sound of the hall or
the amplification system.  The microphone in a dead studio gives you
nothing back, and the acoustically treated dead studio further  reduces
what the performer hears.

Likewise, it is an interesting experience to hear a metal master or a
fine vinyl master pressing of an early acoustical recording because the
sound feels like what the performer might have heard inside the
recording horn.  There are subtle acoustics that are masked by the
shellac.  And I agree with Joe Salerno that the CD reissues might have
been mastered from either vinyl or metal.  Additionally, some of the
high-level computer restoration systems can take the sound of the
surface in the blank grooves at the start of the record and use that as
the model of the sound to be removed.  If you LIKE hiss, especially if
you feel that this is a reassurance that the high frequencies of the
music haven't been removed, some restoration engineers bring back a
touch of surface hiss at 13K or 14K.  But shhhhh, it's a secret.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com